Contact: Faith James, email@example.com, 202-248-5450
J Mocco, MD, MS, Becomes 27th President of the Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery
FAIRFAX, Va. — J Mocco, MD, MS, an endovascular neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai in New York City has been named the 2022 president of the Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery (SNIS), a scientific and educational association dedicated to advancing the specialty of neurointerventional surgery. With more than 1,000 members worldwide, the organization’s mission is to promote the highest quality, comprehensive, minimally invasive care for patients with stroke, brain aneurysms and other diseases of the head, neck and spine. As president, Dr. Mocco will lead SNIS’ initiatives to advance excellence in minimally invasive neuroendovascular care.
“SNIS has an incredible opportunity to engage with medical minds across the world,” said Dr. Mocco. “I am eager to work with renowned neurointerventionalists near and far to share best practices and improve outcomes for our patients. SNIS is proud to continue neurointerventional innovation on a global scale.”
Dr. Mocco has published more than 525 peer-reviewed publications, edited three textbooks on neurosurgical techniques, and runs both national and international clinical trials to help patients with cerebrovascular disease.
Outside of his clinical work, Dr. Mocco serves as a professor and senior system vice chair in the Department of Neurosurgery at Mount Sinai and the director of the Cerebrovascular Center. His research interests focus on translational efforts to treat ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke.
Mahesh Jayaraman, MD, a neurointerventional radiologist at Rhode Island Hospital, is now president-elect of SNIS, and Johanna T. Fifi, MD, a neurointerventionalist at Mount Sinai Hospital, has been elected vice president. Additional 2022 board members are:
- Treasurer: Guilherme Dabus, MD, Baptist Cardiac & Vascular Institute, Miami, FL
- Secretary: Reade A. De Leacy, MD, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
- Education Chair: Peter Kan, MD, UTMB, Galveston, TX
- Member-at-Large – Neuroradiology: Jeremy J. Heit, MD, PhD, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- Member-at-Large – Neurosurgery: Justin R. Mascitelli, MD, University of Texas Health & Science Center, San Antonio, TX
- Member-at-Large – Neurology: Sunil A. Sheth, MD, UT Health McGovern School of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Immediate Past President: Michael Chen, MD, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- Second Past President: William J. Mack, MD, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- Audit Committee Chair: Justin F. Fraser, MD, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Chair: Jenny Tsai, MD, Spectrum Health, Grand Rapids, MI
- Governance Committee Chair: Michael T. Froehler, MD, PhD, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
The SNIS Board of Directors will continue to advance the specialty of neurointerventional surgery through initiatives such as the SNIS Foundation, the Get Ahead of Stroke® campaign, and the Journal of NeuroInterventional Surgery (JNIS). For more information on SNIS’ Board of Directors, visit www.snisonline.org/board.
To schedule an interview with Dr. Mocco or any of the new board members, please contact Faith James at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery
The Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery (SNIS) is a scientific and educational association dedicated to advancing the specialty of neurointerventional surgery through research, standard-setting, and education and advocacy to provide the highest quality of patient care in diagnosing and treating diseases of the brain, spine, head and neck. Visit www.snisonline.org and follow us on Twitter (@SNISinfo) and Facebook (@SNISOnline).